Artificial Floating Coral Reefs

(Matias Volco) #61

this is what I’ve been having trouble with.
I also (I think most people) see ocean colonization as a (or many) Cluster(s) and I personally liked the idea of breakwaters creating safezones for smaller less seaworthy vessels and platforms. This can still happen as not every structure that composes a city would need to be Draupner or Hurricane safe, that is, not a shelter:
parks, open air walkways (promenades, not vital connections), artificial floating beaches and beach houses… parts of a city that can be evacuated easily and normally.

[quote=“Condor_Connor, post:60, topic:244, full:true”]
The way I see the breakwater working is just by the sheer mass of both the breakwater and the city. The breakwater would probably have to have some rigid connection to the city, so the whole thing would pretty much be a big disc. A really big disc. It’s pretty hard to flip a big disc. Remember, the outer breakwater is supposed to break the waves, not stop them completely. It would be designed so that waves would go over the top of it but be broken on the other side. Plus, we’d have a lot of natural reef and mangroves (inside the reef they would probably survive) to help break up the water that comes over the top. The final ring of wall around the city would just keep the water out.
[/quote]I agree. A free floating breakwater (just like a floating “wall”) will break in a big storm. A breakwater will be useful only as a rigid part of the seastead and it’s main purpose will be to protect the reef and stop some of the waves.

Also, the main reason for the reef there is to attract “smaller fish”, since in the middle of the ocean there isn’t to much fish at all other than the pelagic fish. Bottom line is FOOD. Another reason for the reef being there is to provide an attraction if the seastead wants to make some money on tourism.

Other than that, a likewise designed seastead (pictured below) will still rock and roll in a category 10 storm, unless we are talking sci-fi and that seastead is 1 mile long.

(Bob LLewellyn) #63

Any place people go fish will follow, the reason? Food. We throw away a lot of very good fish food. The fish hang around reefs looking for food. Our body waist is a problem on land but at sea, it feeds plankton which feed small fish (krill) and the cycle begins.

It is possible you would catch some pelagic species, ie tuna depending on exactly where and when and how you were fishing. However, the open ocean is somewhat of a “desert” in the sense that there is a lot of open space. Fish and other creatures tend to be concentrated around structure because it provides them shelter from predators, and the larger surface area provides more places for certain kinds of small life forms like algae and bacteria to grow. The best place to fish out in the ocean is above some structure, like above a sea mount, reef or sunken ship, etc. There you could not only find pelagic species cruising by, but also lots of the same species that can be found closer to shore.

Way out in the ocean there will always be the potential of catching some extremely large fish and sharks, as well as some exotic sea creatures like manta rays, giant squid, etc. But other than tuna and shark (if you like shark), the rest are not to good to eat if compared to grouper, snapper, halibut, etc. which are “reef fish”.

(.) #65

I see lots of small fish at shore. Could those be the large ones when grow up.
Judging by their numbers, there must be lots of more small fish than big ones.
Lots of them do not reach maturity. With a bit of intervention there could be a
big school of big fish in the ocean. Just have to catch a big school of small fish,
and feed them and protect them from big preditors and from each other.
Just a thought, it should be in the cathegory of crazy ideas, dreaming.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #66

seeding and managing the deserted ocean is actually done - we increase the numbers of sea turtles with such methods already (keep them alive until mature and let them go).

I guess we do that because we don’t eat sea turtles on a regular bases and Disney made few movies about them :blush: But the reality of the oceans is pretty bleak.

(Matias Volco) #68

In the Cayman Islands you can actually eat sea turtle (legally) as well as visit the nursery where they help augment their wild population. A benefit and quirk of an island micro nation.
I’ve been to one such nurseries (not restaurants) elsewhere in the Caribbean.
Some day we might do the same with Bluefin Tuna.

Farming bluefin tuna is environmentally costly. A tuna’s natural diet consists of other fish. Lots of other fish. Right now, there are tuna “ranches” that capture young tuna in the ocean and then fatten them up in big net-pens. Those ranches feed their tuna about 15 pounds of fish such as sardines or mackerel for each additional pound of tuna that can be sold to consumers.

(system) closed #70

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

(Larry G) opened #71