Artificial Floating Coral Reefs

(Wilfried Ellmer) #21

or fields of ocean cages and ocean spheres that make the waves topple over before reaching the city, althoug underwater working like a barrier reef protecting the floating city.

Ocean cage aquaculture double use as food production and barrier reef for a floating city

Draupner wave - avoid direct impact, make it topple over by underwater barrier…

How would that work? Breakwaters function in two ways: Surface area, providing resistance via hydrodynamics and mass, providing resistance via inertia. If it was a cage it wouldn’t really have either, or am I missing something?

(Bob LLewellyn) #23

All the energy from a wave is on the surface. Get 3 feet below the trough and the energy of the wave will just pass quietly over head. About the only way to survive a nuclear war is in a submarine.
Bob

Sure, but if floating breakwaters are economic, it’s much easier to build for humans on top of the waves rather than underneath them.

Question the surface float paradigma

Why not combine the two? We’d have the reef outside the city, a breakwater around that, put the aquaculture cages outside the breakwater. We’d probably have them anyways for food production (although I think the reef would produce a lot of food anyways), and they’d serve as a breakwater through their position.

If someone did build a breakwater then space would be at a premium and anything which could go outside would, yes. This is all assuming that said breakwaters are economically feasible of course.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #27

if you are looking for a structure the size to be capeable to handle a draupner look at the bow of Prelude so there is not really something “small scale” on the table when talking about dealing with oceanic waves…except submerged solutions…

(Jonas Smith) #28

I would think you would want the aquaculture systems inside the breakwater. Those cages, and their occupants, tend to be quite fragile. I’m pretty sure we can find space in the sheltered waters for something as important as the seastead’s food supply.

Right, but they don’t need to be on the surface where they’re at risk.

(Jonas Smith) #30

Yea but wouldn’t all the support structures, docks, facilities for workers, etc be above water? Even if just the cages themselves are underwater there is a lot of other stuff that needs to be on the surface.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #31

Neil Sims suggested to run a ocean cage project “like a space station” - all underwater…the weak link in his project was the support boat pounded around by the waves for months - the ocean sphere habitat would solve that problem elegant.

Neil Sims Velella, ocean cages to feed mankind

A Breakwater and Reef can be build as part of the whole seastead structure. The Reef will provide food for the entire seastead if fished + extra for sale.

But I don’t see how “any other breakwater” would work out at sea,…

Pretty much my thoughts, although I would have made the reef section substantially larger in diameter. Also, I would make the exterior walls of the beakwater slanted at a steep angle, to help deflect waves (and make it harder for raiders to get over them).

Could they not go inside the breakwater?

Could you give some context here? Like what’s the scale and what’s that grey thing inside the breakwater?

I think this structure is a little inefficient in that the breakwater can probably protect a larger area.

(Jonas Smith) #36

That’s what I said…

As in the worker’s accomodation, feed bins, storage sheds etc. go inside the breakwater and the cages go outside.

(Jonas Smith) #38

Ah sorry, got confused there. If you are going to put all that stuff inside the breakwater you might as well put the cages there too…plus I assume you want all the support structures right where the cages are. No point in having to keep running back-and-forth between the cages (outside the breakwater) and the feed bins (inside).

(Chad Elwartowski) #39

I did some tests using spheres as breakwaters, they are quite effective.

Well, that’s assuming there’s space. I’m going with a scenario where breakwaters are affordable, but still very expensive. To take an analogy, ranchers keep their horses, vehicles and equipment in stables, barns and toolsheds but they have their livestock roam free on the pasture.

With regular fish farming in protected waters they have plenty of space so there’s no reason not to have everything in one place, but that won’t necessarily be the case in the open ocean.