Any Upcoming Design Contests?

(Alexander Tomasik) #1

Is there any new design contests for buildings in the future or are they just going to suck it from my mind with the nanobots?

(Alexander Tomasik) #3

Well for the love of God; if it’s that simple then why bother right?

So simple,… You go and build that “so simple” seastead!

You will find out that the so called “simple” will get very complicated and VERY expensive quite fast…

If it can be trucked it is more than likely to small to be called a “seastead”. Maybe a “seasteading module”…

To me, a seastead would imply the presence of at least 12 or more permanent (or part time) residents (seasteaders).

Therefore, at least a minimum of 80’-100’ LOA floating platform to be called a “seastead”.

LOL, you can call yourself anything you want. All I was saying is that living aboard at anchor on “anything” with a boy-girl-friend and a dog it’s not quite seasteading to me.

But, it is and excellent starting point.

We don’t…

But, from a cost prospective, it will be much cheaper overall to built a hull which accommodates 12+ seasteaders rather then building a hull that accommodates a couple (and the dog :blush:). That’s a fact.

LOL, the “old west” has past and it’s all gone. The term “seasteading” it’s just a “convenient allegory” to homesteading, not a synonym.

Me too. I lived at anchor on few sailboats. But it gets lonely pretty quick.

Anybody can come and go as they want.

If such law against shooting a gun in public already exists on the seastead, than that person will be dealt with according to the law.

If such law against shooting a gun in public doesn’t exists on the seastead than the seasteaders shall vote for such law.

I looked into that and it’s pretty feasible, but I don’t think it would be “easier” and definitely not cheaper.

First, those seasteads should be the same size and design in order to raft them up as “residential modules”. Then, you’ll have to built “commercial (business) modules”, “public spaces” modules, “seastead maintenance” modules, “docking modules”, etc.

Will the owner of “residential modules” be willing to pay for the rest in order to finalize such floating seasteading community? Because that’s no point whatsoever in buying a “residential module” which will cost at least 3-4 times more then a similar LOA used boat, unless is part of a seasteading project.

With other words, why would I buy a 30’ LOA “residential module” for $40k versus a 30’ LOA used sailboat for $10k when all I want to do is live at anchor somewhere in the Keys?

(Alexander Tomasik) #15

That means, ultimately, that they’d have to be built so that they’re cheap to produce. I think that they should be big enough to support a family and provide all the amities that you’d find here on land. You’d probably want them built so as to provide enough space so that you could produce revenue within them; something simple like energy generation, sea plastics or sea raised produce that can be prepared within the structure.

Ideally, yes.

In reality, a new construction will never ever be cheaper than a used boat.

Again, ideally so.

But now we are talking about a minimum 60’-70’ LOA module for (let say) a family of 4 with “amenities” such as commercial/business space, docking space, public space, etc, all in one module.

Now you’ll have a problem “personalizing” such modules according to the “skills” of the owner: one who knows/wants to fish, will need a “fishing module”, one who knows/wants to produce power, will need a “power module”, etc.

At this point the BIG question is, do you want to have a “decentralized” economy on board, where individual owners provide for the various needs/services of the community, OR a “centralized” economy where the community provides for those needs/services to the individual owners?

For example, if the whole community plugs in to the one owner with a “power module” and this guy decides to live by 8:00 PM tonight, then the whole seastead will be powerless by 8:00 pm tonight. In this case, the owner with a “medical module” performing a life saving emergency procedure by 8:00 PM tonight will have its patient die because of the lack of power. That patient can be, me, you, your wife, kids, family,…

OR, lets say that nobody wants to get in the dirty business of processing the seastead’s waste. Now what??

My view is that on a seastead, the “essential” community services should not be “decentralized”.

Seastead originated from the terms Sea and Homestead

Ridiculing another persons concept, based on sheer size is counterproductive as a whole, to the entire movement. It’s the Toe-may-toe/toe-mah-toe argument on a whole new level. Taking my example for further comparison:

The heaviest tomato weighs 3.906 kg (8.61 lb), was grown by Dan Sutherland (USA) and weighed in Walla Walla, Washington, USA, on 30 August 2016. The achievement was authenticated by the Great Pumpkin Commonwealth (GPC).

Red Currant tomato: Worlds Smallest Tomato - Red Currant Tomato is the worlds smallest tomato, dwarfed by cherry varieties - it is the size of a large blueberry or sweet pea.

Further:
In fact, Biotensive soil care and gardening techniques work so well that you can grow a complete diet in less than 1000 square feet (not including animal products)!

(noboxes) #21

(.) #22

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AquaticLifestyle/info
pacificwave