Anthropology Research

(UCI Anthropology Research) #1

Hello, I am an undergraduate anthropology student at University of California, Irvien. I would like to know what issues you would like to see researched from a social science perspective at the university. I am in the honors research program and I would like to gather as many opinions about needed research as soon as possible.

My idea is to investigate the feasibility of seasteading for climate migrants in the South Pacific. Any contributions you have will be appreciated.

(noboxes) #2

How about the changing spelling of words, and their apparent acceptance in written text. And how that affects pronunciation when people try to phonetically say the misspelled words? Like, for instance, “Irvien”.

(.) #3

Hi, welcome.
Anthropology is good. Seasteading is kind of slow.
Climate migrants, well may be. I donno yet.
I am ok where I am. I am not planning to migrate. Climate is good here.
More a political reason for more autonomy, and less regulations.
That would be the idea for me from here. I do not want to go far, just
about 12 to 200 miles from shore.
I am working on it. Will see.

(Chad Elwartowski) #4

One thing Blue Frontiers is addressing is the idea that within 50 years the sea level will rise to the point that most coastal cities will need to move inland (or move to a seastead).

This is very apparent here in Polynesia as some of the outer islands are already running into problems of salt water getting into their drinking water due to the rise in sea level.

If you look at the city Pouheva in Makemo they already dealt with this in the early 1900s when the ancient city that was well known throughout the islands had to move to higher ground because their city was constantly flooding. Now the new city is having problems due to the sea level and the mayor is hoping seasteading can provide the solution for the people of his island (atoll).

It is not all sea level rise when it comes to islands as the whole reason there are atolls where there used to be islands is that when it rains all the loose sand and soil washes into the sea which initially creates a ring around the island which creates a lagoon but eventually the weight of the island and the erosion leave it as just an atoll and eventually that washes away and your are left with a sea mount under the water.

(noboxes) #5

Geology books have a different reason for there being a ring.

(Larry G) #6

This is pretty much 100% incorrect. The ring structure of atolls is not composed of soil or sand washed into the sea from a mountain, it is coral. Which is one reason why most atolls don’t have solid rings enclosing lagoons, they have irregular, often open, rings of islets. If the atoll were simply overwash from an island, how would the interior disappear and leave an outer ring behind? Wouldn’t the ring prevent the inside from washing away? Where would the contents of the island go if they were surrounded by a ring?

There are multiple types of sand on beaches - silica sand and coralline sand.

Sand comes from many locations and environments, and may be derived from either rock or biotic sources. It can have a source as close as rockfalls from seacliffs, or be transported hundreds to thousands of miles by streams and rivers. A portion is even carried as dust and sand in the air. Once the sand is has been washed into the ocean longshore drift moves and collects it in locations - prompting dune formation. The majority of the sand you’ll see in temperate regions is composed of silica-based rocks. Silica, what both quartz and glass are made of, is very resistant to erosion. It lasts after other minerals have been broken down and altered. In tropical regions another mineral can also be found in sand - calcium carbonate, or CaCO3

Low-lying atolls weren’t all formed by rain wearing down volcanic rocks.There may be some silicate sand, but it’s not the primary method of formation. Any underwater feature within about 30 meters of the surface will tend to grow coral in the tropics, unless the physical conditions work against it (extreme current, etc) Once coral forms a barrier to currents, then sand deposits start. Largely aided by the creation of new calcareous sand by the mechanism of sea life grazing on coral and by mechanical action breaking up pieces of coral.

Technically, any island which has an above-water rocky component is not an atoll, but an island with a barrier reef.

In the Eastern Pacific, tectonic plate movement is causing island subsidence, not sea level rise. The islands do erode a bit, but the significant vertical change is from tectonic subsidence. The oceanic plate is sliding under the continental plate of North America. The volcanoes are getting lower, not the sea getting higher.

Saltwater doesn’t “intrude” on a Ghyben-Herzberg Lens in the way most people think, but human activities can often interfere with the mechanism of lens formation and replenishment. If your well siphons up from the bottom that is now below the freshwater layer, is that really “intrusion” into your drinking water?

Atolls don’t just “wash away”. It is possible for an atoll to drown if the water depth gets to be too much for coral to continue growing at the rate the island is sinking, but normally, the coral just keeps growing as long as it is above 30 meters. The shape of the atoll would probably change in relation to the bottom contours as the growth zone gets wider or narrower, but the atoll doesn’t just “wash away”.

(noboxes) #7

Nice try @thebastidge, but there’s more of them than there are of us, and they’ll just repeat ad naseum that we are delusional. There’s no moderator to remove the dis-information.

(Chad Elwartowski) #8

Either way, my point was that islands sink. So the idea that it is sea level rise that is overtaking the islands could or could not be true. What is true that for the Polynesia islands, the ocean water is going up compared to the land they live on.

I was trying to make this distinction due to pointing out the fact that a city over 100 years ago and before the Industrial Revolution had to move due to “sea level rise” without causing confusion.

I see the sediment every day out my back door going into the ocean so my assumption is that the island is slowly eroding into the sea.

(.) #9

No. So, well. No, and no.

(Larry G) #10

This is not universally true either. And over-simplifying is actually mal-adaptive in many cases when it comes to prescribing a fix. Erosion does happen. Accretion likewise happens. Sometimes what erodes from one side deposits on the other side. Sometimes efforts to abate erosion worsen it, because the mechanism is poorly understood. Erosion is a dynamic, on-going process that can be balanced by biological processes. There are natural mechanisms that depend upon a certain amount of erosion.

If one thinks that sea level rise is causing saltwater intrusion, then logically one will not even look into fixing the problem through mechanisms that have a good chance of working- like replenishing the lens,reducing man-made hard surfaces that interfere with saturating the soil with fresh water by causing rainwater to run off directly into the ocean, etc. and reducing the amount of wasted freshwater.