A new Hope, Marinea resurrected?

(Bob LLewellyn) #175

Reality is, ‘life sucks and then you die’. With a reality like that, who could blame anyone for living in some type of fantasy?

(.) #176

Yes, that thing seems to perpetuate itself: reality sucks, let’s escape to fantasy, and that
makes reality suck more, and more , and more …

And how is that going to float in real water?

(.) #179

So, is this web site about fantasy or reality?

(noboxes) #180

This website? TSI? it’s most certainly fantasy.

(.) #181

Yes, I agree with that.

(Bob LLewellyn) #182

Not in the case of Cay Sal. It’s basically a desert. The gulf stream is so fast that it is difficult for anything to take hold. When Marinea takes hold, much development will follow. We will make the desert bloom, so to speak.

(.) #184

So, is this web site about fantasy or reality

This website? TSI? it’s most certainly fantasy.

Yes, I agree with that.

(Larry G) #185

You mean “satellite”?

(Larry G) #186

This does not compute. Employee/employer relationships are great. They are an incredible advancement in human interaction and voluntary exchange of value.

They simply should not entirely replace individual entrepreneurship. Not everybody has the resources, character, motivation, or some other quality or circumstance to be self-employed. As long as the environment (regulatory, social, what-have-you) allows for it, they can self-select. A huge number of people (my own wife included) just want to be able to collect a wage for value given, and go home at the end of the day largely unconcerned about the detailed health and profitability of the enterprise.

(.) #188

Yes, sure, good luck with that. I am planning something else for myself.

(Larry G) #189

Say three “Hail Mary’s”, an “Our Father” and give up meat for Lent… or just refrain from picking on other people’s spelling/typos when the meaning is clear.

I don’t know what “minimizing my footprint” means…

So was the wheel, flying, internet, etc.

To protect it from the the most of the humans who are not leaving it alone.

Sorry, I no longer give free investing advice, specially to people who cannot connect few simple, obvious dots.

(Bob LLewellyn) #192

Yes to both. Think about it, what is fantasy? The creation of something in your head but guess what, everything that exists started in someone’s head. Fantasy is just the first step of creation. If we can conceive of it, believe in it, we can see it in this illusion we call life.

(noboxes) #193

I wasn’t asking about investing (money management). I was asking how prempting the Bahama marine police (coast guard, etc) and stopping people from polluting, or over fishing, or breaking up coral, setting island plants on fire, etc, was going to make you money.

(Bob LLewellyn) #194

That happens to be a good question. I mean apart from the obvious that people will want to live in a place that is as pristine as possible. keeping out the destructive elements would increase the desirability of a location for tourism or living, so that is the obvious answer to that question, but, is there a way to make a profit from offering protection for an area? Would the US gov. be willing to pay someone to help keeping an area clean?

The Sal was effected by the Deep Well spill, maybe some of that money is still available.

LOL, making money it’s ALL ABOUT investing and money management.

Anyway, here is a brief scenario.

In exchange for being the “custodian” of your “seasteading ecosystem” you make agreements with the Bahamian Gov that will allow you to responsibly operate a legal fishing, lobstering, coral-aqua-culture, tourism business in the area.

You will make money by selling fish, lobster tails, mussels, shrimp, etc. And that’s a fact.

And in fact, in few years, such operation alone could provide you with enough capital to build your floating seastead WITHOUT any outside capital infusion. And that’s a fact too.

Also, the ancillary business of selling accommodations (for the above mentioned activities + diving, snorkeling, water sports, marina-docking-supply-fuel, etc.) on your floating seastead (when built), will be another stream of solid, future revenues.

Please note, this is not about “just making money for the sake of money”. It’s all about being able to generate the NECESSARY stream of constant revenue in order to build and operate the seastead in highly self-sufficient-autonomous manner.

(Larry G) #196

[quote=“ForexBob, post:194, topic:3102”]people will want to live in a place that is as pristine as possible.

This is not a true statement. People do not want to live in pristine environments. People want to live in comfortable environments that suit humans well and kid themselves into thinking this environments are wholly natural. This is a variation on the ‘noble savage’ fallacy. Pristine environments are not hospitable.

People should strive for balanced environments, sustainable environments, but “pristine untouched-by-humans” environments literally do not exist on Earth, and are not conducive to our species’ continued welfare anyway.

(Bob LLewellyn) #197

Larry, I have no problem substituting the word comfortable for pristine, it is closer to my intent anyway. It increases the value of the area by its existence.

(Bob LLewellyn) #198

In the beginning an oceanic community would most likely begin with people living in boats as they do already in marinas on shore. So it occurred to me that there may be others out there that would like to see what it would be like living in a boat before they actually moved out to the ocean.

My brother lives near Cape Canaveral on the east side of Fla. He buys and fixes boats as well as works on them for other owners until he screwed up his hand, now he buys, does miner repairs and re-sells the boats. If anyone wants him to keep an eye open for a particular kind, he is your best source. Kind of like a buyers realtor. He know what to look out for. If anyone is interested send me an e-mail bob@marinea.org and I’ll send it on to him. Just don’t want to put his number out on an open forum.

He is looking for one for me and sent this up for my opinion. I wanted a sailboat that was short a mast. I wanted to eliminate the diesel and put in an electric motor to turn the screws. This would be for living in one place mostly but with the ability to move if necessary. I intended to cover the deck with solar cells and maybe make a float to add more cell of to the side. This will give us electric and charge the batteries for the occasional trip somewhere.

The problem is that it is only a 31 foot. Not enough room for two people for long stays while living at sea. but for trying it out, maybe. It’s mast is laying on the deck and the engine needs repaired or replaced like I wanted to do.

They were asking $5K I think.

(noboxes) #199

What does that mean? How does the USCG regulate which boats can and cannot be in international waters?