A Marinea Update

@ForexBob. Well I wish I knew someone who had that much money. A good idea would be selling individual advertisement space circling your seastead. So have spaces for banner.

(Larry G) #22

Locations: I would try to position any Cay Sal seastead in one of the areas identified as “scoured hardgrounds” in the Bahamas Field Report listed above for minimal negative environmental impact and maximum potential environmental improvement: coral recruitment for reef building, shellfish establishment and crustacean colonization, etc.

If it can be in proximity to seagrass bed and a lagoonal “blue hole” that would be ideal. Biological diversity thrives in transition zones. Providing vertical relief and current abatement to a scoured area allows the other bio-zones to diversify.

Sand flats, sparse seagrass, dense seagrass, sand with coral bommies, patch reefs, scoured hardgrounds, shelf-edge build-ups, and sand shoals were identified as benthic habitat classes. They identified numerous sink holes, blue holes that extended to over 100 m in depth, perfectly circular seagrass beds that formed on top of sedimentfilled blue holes and around man-made objects such as ship wrecks, aircraft and abandoned oil exploration equipment, scoured hardground areas, and moving sand waves. Of particular interest are the profiles crossing over the sink holes. The profiles clearly show the plunging walls of the holes and the sediment in-fill that has been deposited in the hole (Fig. 4). In some cases, the sediment has reached the rim of the hole, and a layer of dense seagrass ‘caps’ the hole. Another important observation is the occurrence of circular seagrass beds with an iris in the middle. In three cases, man-made debris (e.g., a crashed airplane, a ship wreck) was present in the iris with a high fish biomass aggregating around the debris. These patches also appeared circular in the satellite imagery.

(Larry G) #23

1.4.1 Crawfish
Crawfish are fished in three ways in the Bahamas:
Artificial habitats or “condominiums”

Condos (also known as casitas elsewhere in the Caribbean) are large rectangular sheets of aluminium with
3 wooden and one open side, which are laid by divers to provide artificial shelters for crawfish. Once a
condo is down, it may be moved around by divers, but it is not brought up. A condo is therefore deemed
to be a permanent feature on the seabed (like an artificial reef), and is not legally owned by anyone, no
matter who put them there. A condo lasts around 3 years on the seabed before disintegrating.
Condos may be fished from a mothership that carries a group of divers who work from smaller dinghies
using compressors. These vessels tend to work offshore on the Bahama banks, particularly around the
southern and western edges of the Great Bahama Bank. The crawfish are removed from the condo using a
hook. On board the tails are wrung, cleaned, soaked in “Pellican Dip” (sodium or potassium
metabisulphite: a preservative) and frozen.

Condos are also set and fished by day fishermen. Many put condos down in nearshore areas, and/or fish
others that they find.

It is not clear whether condos enhance crawfish populations by reducing predation, or whether they
simply relocate crawfish from the reef. It is likely that both effects occur, but fishermen report that if
condos are left for a period of several months to a year in an area of the banks where there have not
formerly been crawfish, crawfish will arrive in that area, implying that the artificial habitats are enhancing survival in areas far from major reef areas.

1.10.1 Data collection and enforcement on shore

Fisheries data collection and enforcement on shore is the responsibility of the DoF, who check licences,
gear, landings and export shipments and collect information on purchases by the processors, catches and
effort. Enforcement and data collection in the Family Islands is the responsibility of the extension officers.

Extension Officers:
Grand Bahama 2
Abaco 3
North Andros 1
Other Family Islands 0

1.10.2 Enforcement at sea
Enforcement out at sea is the responsibility of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force (RBDF). The RBDF
concentrates patrols on the southern edge of the Great Bahama Bank, which is the main area for poachers
from the Dominican Republic, Cuba and Honduras, as well as for the arrival of illegal immigrants and
drugs. They also patrol the Cay Sal bank and the western edge of the Little Bahama Bank on occasion.
The force aims to have a presence in the southern Bahamas more or less continuously, although vessels have to detour to Inagua to refuel.

There are continuing complaints from fishermen that it is difficult to get a response from the RBDF out at
sea if a vessel is violating regulations. The RBDF acknowledges that it are not always in a position to respond, particularly given that fisheries enforcement cannot be its first priority.

The Bahamian lobster fishery is undertaken by a range of fishers throughout the archipelago
operating from small day vessels and mothership-dories ventures. There are also a number of
stakeholders associated with the market chain to export lobster.

The lobster fishery remains open access to
domestic fishers and no foreign fishing is allowed. Permits are required for domestic fishers using
wooden lobster traps and vessels over 20 ft. Fishermen using casitas do not require permits. Fisheries
management is currently limited by financial constraints and human capacity.
Due to the difficulties in monitoring and enforcing fisheries regulations throughout the archipelago, a
Confidential Pre-assessment of Bahamian lobster fishery 9
precautionary management strategy has been adopted to help protect vulnerable life stages of the
lobster population. These include: minimum size limits; permits for lobster traps; restrictions on fishing
gear; restrictions on taking ‘berried’ females (stripping or otherwise removing eggs from ‘berried’
females is prohibited); closed seasons, and; no fishing in Marine Protected Areas. Limiting the size at
first capture (Lc), is used to help protect the population from recruitment overfishing. The current
regulation on minimum size is considered to be precautionary and is above the average size at maturity
(Lm). Furthermore, closed seasons can be extended indefinitely if further reductions in fishing
mortality are required (e.g. Nassau grouper fishery was closed for 5 years).
Limited monitoring of lobster catch exists at both landing ports and processing plants. As such, the
overall effectiveness of the current precautionary management strategy is subject to uncertainty. To
date, management strategy evaluations (MSE) have not been conducted.

The number of wooden traps and compressors are monitored through the number of licenses, although
the number of casitas is not routinely monitored. In general, there is a trend away from wooden lobster
traps to an increase in the use of casitas. Limited information is available on the fleet structure, with all
mothership-dory vessels and day-boats larger than 20ft monitored through the vessel license scheme.
Each day-boat has approximately 2-3 fishers while a mothership may contain between 4-8 dories. Since
vessels below 20ft are not required to obtain a commercial fishing license, no information is available
to monitor trends in the number of vessels by size category. The number and general location of
wooden lobster traps are required to have an ID mark, although this does not yet occur for casitas,
which remain relatively uncontrolled.

Although the numbers of casitas are not monitored, anecdotal information derived from senior fisheries
officers indicate that their use has peaked since the 1990s (Gittens, pers. comm.). Casitas are placed
adjacent to the reef or on sea grass beds and may appear to increase the natural habitat available to
lobster. However, they could equally be attracting the existing lobster population away from the reef,
acting as an aggregating device that artificially increases catch rates. To date, no studies have been
performed on the potential impacts of casitas on the lobster fishery.

The two primary methods of capture, lobster traps and casitas, are very selective and few other fish are
retained. A small bycatch of finfish (e.g. lane snappers, grunts and tulip snails) are on occasion retained
in wooden traps, but these are thought to be relatively minor (Gittens, pers. comm.). During the lobster
season, fishers target lobster exclusively but switch to conch during the closed season. Retained species
catch falls below the 5-10% of target catch required for a full assessment of this PI.

Little or no research has been undertaken to demonstrate trends in habitat structure in the regions used
for lobster fishing. The coral reefs and seagrass beds appear to have been maintained. It remains
unclear whether fishing activities contribute to adverse impacts on habitat. Casitas are artificial habitats
that may increase the potential area available to lobsters and prevent fishers having to dive directly on
the reef, thus potentially reducing the level of damage to the coral. Casitas are now increasingly being
placed on seagrass beds. Casitas are made from sheet metal and wooden poles, which although do not
cause ghost fishing, may contribute to long-term reef damage following a hurricane or other
disturbance. Fishers also use up to 25 traps that are tied together in a string. Unlike casitas that remain
in position and require fishers to dive in order to harvest lobster, traps must be pulled to the surface to
release and sort the catch

Regulations are in place to prevent fishers from touching coral or using poisons or other chemicals
without permission that may damage the habitat and living marine resources. As such, casitas and
lobster traps are not placed directly on the reef, which is thought to help minimize habitat impacts.
However, there are no regulations or controls in place to limit the total number of casitas or traps in
use.

Within The Bahamas, lobster is one of the primary grazers on the reef, helping to regulate and control
the level of algal growth within the environment and maintaining a healthy coral reef ecosystem. No
information is available to demonstrate the impacts of reducing lobster within the ecosystem.

http://awsassets.panda.org/downloads/wwf_fip_final_web_version.pdf

https://tncbahamas.wordpress.com/tag/fisheries-improvement-project/

https://tncbahamas.wordpress.com/category/artificial-reefs/coral-nursery-projects/

(Larry G) #24

Citizen Science opportunities and fisheries improvement projects might provide support to a fledgling community:

http://moorecharitable.org/impact-story-21-marviva-addressing-illegal-unreported-and-undocumented-fishing-in-panamas-unesco-heritage-site/

http://moorecharitable.org/impact-story-23-the-billion-oyster-project-real-results-for-citizen-science-reef-restoration-community-building-and-marine-education/

http://moorecharitable.org/louis-bacons-moore-bahamas-foundation-provides-grant-to-help-bnt-protect-queen-conch-populations/

http://moorecharitable.org/louis-bacons-moore-bahamas-foundation-grant-helps-breef-bring-marine-education-to-life-for-more-than-700-students/

(Bob LLewellyn) #25

I was wondering if we have any news people or journalist on the forum here? We can use some help if you are knowledgeable about “the news game”, as Bogart called it. Most of us are technicians of some type but we need to break out of our tech world so we can begin to communicate with the average Joe.

There is a lot of money out there looking for a home. We are making what they are wanting, now we just need to bring the two together. The Marinea idea is a lot of people doing just a little bit. We need to begin to communicate this message out to the masses, that is where the money is, that is where we need to go.

I would like to begin a dialog on how we can best achieve this goal.
Any ideas?
Bob

(Larry G) #26

You don’t need journalists to do press releases. You simply write up what you want to have known and send it to the news outlet you want to run it. They may or may not do so. The more newsworthy it is, and the less self-promoting, the more likely to run.

So make sure you include angles of interest to the community the news outlet serves. For business news, line out the business impact, forecasts, trends etc. For community newspapers, talk about jobs, economic impact, etc.

I’ve done press releases for my business in the local newspaper in the past and had a couple run.

(Bob LLewellyn) #27

We have been doing that for the last year but we are ready to go more mainstream. We need someone that knows the business and can get results. This would be a business relationship. We wouldn’t be actually hireling this person but they would be compensated.

I’m looking for someone that can write appealing articles about ocean colonization and submit them to magazines as well as news paper as the interest grows. Maybe a retired journalist looking for one last really cool project, to be part of a legacy that will change the way we live on Earth.

(Larry G) #28

Sounds more like you need an advertising and marketing person who can write copy, not a journalist.

(Bob LLewellyn) #29

Oh, OK - do you know one?

(Larry G) #30

Sorry, no; I do not. Are there any local colleges with a marketing, or advertising track where you can post that you are looking for an intern for an experience-building project?

(Bob LLewellyn) #31

That’s a good idea, Thank you…

(Larry G) #32

Comcast will assist you in television commercials if you approach them. Some channel line ups and spots in certain programs are surprisingly affordable. As a very small business I was able to afford it.

(Larry G) #33

In order to make serious money as an advertising channel, you have to have an audience already.

Old McDonald’s barn on Interstate 5 is an advertising channel. Millions of people going to a massive sportsball arena means that the marquee is an advertising channel. The side of my house in a suburb down a worm track neighborhood street with half a dozen other houses in view is not a great advertising channel.

A seastead in San Fran harbor visible from the Golden Gate Bridge is a good advertising channel. Middle of Cay Sal probly not so much.

Getting your seastead named for a big company would be good PR for a company in a related industry, and might make you a bit more recognizable, but it’s not really going to be advertising. It could make an initial splash, and that is something.

But I don’t think too many will be clamor g to slap their name on something they aren’t really certain will A) stay floating without sinking and B) be able to float financially without sinking.

Nobody wants their company name attached to a loser, and they won’t be sure about you for some time.

All this to say I would look fr other revenue opportunities and not focus much effort on this idea.

(Bob LLewellyn) #34

With the gathering of TSI’s south seas program in Tahiti, there has been some question about the relationship between the Marinea Project and the South Seas one. To clear up any misunderstandings, I have written a short essay about the two types of approaches to colonization of the seas.

https://marinea.org/marinea-project/a-seasteading-coalition/

I didn’t want to have a long read to start this thread so I have copied a link to the web-page.
Bob

(Bob LLewellyn) #35

Marinea‏ @VillageAtSea Tweet

#Liberty Under Attack episode http://www.libertyunderattack.com/luapodcast38/ apply your free market principles & set #sail for sunnier waters - The #MarineaProject

I was interviewed for the “Liberty Under Attack” podcast. I thought that it was informative but was it spiritually uplifting?
Bob

(Bob LLewellyn) #36

Octavian helped me see that people that are knowledgeable and friendly to the cause may still not be able to keep up with all the changes and progress of the various aspects of Ocean Colonization. So we have started two side programs to help others find out what we know. Join our Google+ Community, it’s like a general forum and here is that link,

And the other addition is a weekly podcast with Shane an experienced libertarian host. I don’t have a link for that yet as it is supposed to start the first of next month. However, we are already ahead of schedule with several episodes already in the rack. To keep everyone interested I will leak the fact that I am in 2 of 3 of the half hour podcast, but to retain some amount of mystery, I will not reveal which two that I am in.

(Bob LLewellyn) #37

And now for something a little bit light hearted. A poem set to the tune of the Star Spangled Banner.

Marinea Anthem

Oh sea, can you say, welcome home to-night,
we quietly sail into twilight’s vast scenery.
Sunsets glow from a far, all horizons are bright
over freedoms we guard, giving peace real meaning.

And the crisp morning air, living with-out a care
it is the good life, and there’s more yet to share.
Oh play that melody for me of soft ocean waves
to welcome us home, at the end of-the day.

(Bob LLewellyn) #38

This is to up date the Marinea podcast news, it is up and ready to go.
https://marinea.org/podcast/episode1/

Shane will be working with us to promote the concept of ocean colonization. He will be a great help in the area of communications and media. With a libertarian background, he will be able to handle questions about the floating village and mini government. So we’re happy to welcome him aboard.

I accidentally posted this in another thread, it doesn’t fit there at all but I’m tired and screwed up. Just don’t tell the moderator. ok?

(Bob LLewellyn) #39

Hey everyone, we would like some feed back about a short video that we want to use as an intro to the project. Let us know what you think. It’s the short 2 minute one.

And the second podcast was up last weekend and the second half of my interview will be put up this coming weekend.
https://marinea.org/subscribe-to-podcast/

I would like to put a more detailed plan of development and where we are on the plan, maybe I can do that tis weekend also.
Bob

@ForexBob … I’m not a big fan of Malthusian proclamations, so that approach doesn’t appeal to me.

Perhaps that skewed my response.

The video production seemed to be of good quality, but the audio struck me as too computerized.

For my tastes, I’d prefer a human narrator who appears (in the beginning of the video) to make the introductory comments and, periodically, to transition from one major point to another.

Nevertheless, the quality was respectable.

Thanks for sharing the links.